For brunch or dinner, is there anything better than a cozy and hearty Shakshouka? Made in just 15 minutes, it’s a thick ragu with perfectly poached eggs nestled inside. Boasting still-runny yolks, there are plenty of opportunities to dip in some crusty sourdough or toasted slices of rye bread or amp up the flavor with hot garlic bread.
This recipe offers all of the above deliciousness in just 4 easy steps with Great Value Onion & Garlic Pasta Sauce. I love that this sauce is made with extra virgin olive oil & real chunks of vine-ripened tomatoes.
It also offers 2 servings of vegetables for every jar. Most importantly, it’s free from any artificial colors or flavors. And, it passed the taste-test; especially with the (somewhat picky) little hands in my life.
I try to get my kids as involved as possible in the kitchen. The more they learn about food and help with meal prep, the more eager they are to try new dishes and step out of their comfort zones.
We’re at the stage where I’m done hiding vegetables in my pasta sauce, stews, and meatloaf. I’m trying to get to the point where we can embrace ALL vegetables. And like I say to them: “You don’t have to like them. I just want you to try them and see what you think.”
Overall, I find they are twice as likely to try something new when they are a part of the cooking process.
It doesn’t have to be full A to Z involvement- whether it’s washing the vegetables with water or helping you measure the servings or cracking the eggs into the sauce- this dish is a great opportunity to get them into your kitchen.
What I also love about Shakshouka is that you can really make it your own. It’s a GREAT opportunity to overload on vegetables. In this recipe we use onions and a rainbow variety of sweet bell peppers. But if you want to get fancy or creative; I’ve tried and tested adding steamed cauliflower and it’s so good! It absorbs the juices and flavour from delicious tomato ragú.
Easy and Delicious Shakshouka
- ½ cup (125 ml) white onion, chopped
- ½ cup (125 ml) sweet peppers, chopped (red, orange or yellow)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 650 ml jar Great Value Onion and Garlic Pasta Sauce
- 4 large pasture-raised eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup (125 ml) fresh basil or cilantro, chopped
- crumbled goat feta (optional)
- In a large skillet, heat extra virgin oil to medium high. Add onions and peppers and cook for three minutes, stirring often.
- Add Great Value Onion and Garlic Pasta Sauce and stir to combine with onions and peppers. Bring sauce to a boil, then reduce heat to low.
- Make four indentations in the sauce and break in the eggs. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until eggs are set.
- Remove from heat, top with fresh basil or cilantro.
- With a large serving spoon, transfer two eggs to a pasta bowl. Divide remaining sauce evenly between bowls. Serve with grilled garlic toast.
This post is sponsored by Walmart Canada as part of the Walmart Made Better with Great Value Pasta Sauce! Program. In exchange for this post, I have received perks in the form of products and/or compensation. All opinions on this blog are my own.