I never met a banana bread I didn’t like. Particularly, when additional fruits are involved: insert a burst of blueberries into the equation. Summer is straight ahead and I can’t wait for blueberry season. Picture this; a perfectly paleo banana bread made out of super fine whole almond flour- but you may use blanched, as well. the goodness of ripe bananas, pure maple, a bit of coconut oil, 2 eggs, vanilla & a cup of fresh, never frozen blueberries. Because, blueberries and bananas are the perfect pair. In my humble opinion; no two other fruits go better together.
I am also happy to announce this is the blog’s third banana bread recipe… sorry, not sorry. I’ve been happy to see how well you guys have received my previous two; because they’re all very, very different recipes with one common denominator: gluten-free flours & a whole lot of VERY ripe bananas. Because I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again; the riper the bananas, the better the banana bread. Also, a total of 4 bananas is to me, the magic number!
If you’re a peanut butter love (AKA peanut butter is your spirit animal, check out my Peanut Butter & Chocolate Banana Bread. And, if you’re a die-hard chocoholic (like yours truly) and are looking for a steady double dose of chocolate, may I suggest you check out my Chocolate Chip Banana Bread.
I’m also happy + excited to be collaborating on a little Spring Bake with some of my favorite ladies! This is what I call a “Bonus Blog Post” with a total of 4 amazing dessert recipes & am sharing their recipe links below, so make sure to check them out!
No Bake Lemon Cheesecake by The Nutritious Princess
3-Ingredient Strawberry Mousse by Nourish Me Mum
Strawberries & Cream Cheesecake Bars by So Much Yum
So, back to making my Blueberry Banana Bread… You will love this recipe because:
it tastes well, great
the ingredients are minimal
you only need two bowls
it’s a great way to make dessert out of really spotty/blackened bananas- can’t waste food, right?
the instructions are a breeze!
Blueberry Banana Bread
- 2 + 1/2 cups of almond flour*
- 2 eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 4 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup of melted coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup or coconut nectar or rice malt syrup
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 + 1/2 cup of fresh blueberries
* Do not try to substitute other, gluten-free flours with these measurements. These are specifically designed for almond flour. I used Bob’s Red Mill Super Fine Natural Almond Flour, made from whole almonds.
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a medium-large loaf pan with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients together: almond flour, cinnamon & baking powder.
- In another bowl, combine the ripe mashed bananas, the eggs, applesauce, pure maple, the coconut oil & the vanilla. Whisk well to integrate.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredient bowl. Once well combined, fold in the blueberries.
- Pour batter into the loaf pan. Top with a few extra blueberries and cover with aluminum foil as it bakes. Bake for 50-55 mins. Mine required 55 mins, but all ovens vary.
Notes: Do not cut while still warm, it may feel crumbly or mushy. Paleo flours are best enjoyed after they set or refrigerate for a few hours. The bread has an even better texture the following day! Always maintain refrigerated for freshness.
By: Aleyda | The Dish On Healthy