As the weather warms up, you don’t have to give up that comforting bowl of morning oatmeal. We just need to prep it a bit differently. Imagine some creamy + dreamy strawberry shortcake overnight oats in a mason jar that was just pulled out of your fridge. You wake up to a ready-made breakfast that tastes like a cross between rice pudding and oatmeal. They’re fruity, filling, nourishing & taste like indulgent dessert. I kid you not. There’s chunky pieces of sweet strawberries that softened and sweetened overnight, mixed in with oats, yogurt, almond milk & a dash of pure maple syrup. Doesn’t get better than that, particularly when it comes to breakfast-to go.
It’s Saturday as I pen this post and am sitting down; almost catatonic after attending two, back-to-back kiddie birthday parties. I joke that my kids have a far more active social life than I do. Actually, that may not be a joke. But when I woke up this morning and had to get everyone fed and dressed and ready- I gave thanks for these ready-to-eat overnight oats. Everyone enjoyed them, no one complained. Even the pickiest eater in our hectic household said that they were “LICIOUS”. If you wouldn’t know what she was saying you might be inclined to assume she’s saying “vicious”…. I honestly think they’re the funniest humans I know. They always give me a good chuckle and a mood lift- even without knowing I was in need of one.
These overnight oats are both; kid and adult approved. If you don’t have any sensitivities to dairy, I strongly recommend you give these a try with full-fat Greek yogurt to make them high on protein. I love to superfood my dairy-free version with hemp hearts, 1 tbsp of chia seeds & collagen powder. Long-term use of collagen powder has given me a new lease on my nails, skin and hair. I’ve noticed the kids nails grow that much faster since I introduced into their diet, as well.
If you’re a strawberry shortcake fan like yours truly right here, may I also recommend my Strawberry Shortcake Smoothie, you will love. It also has pulverized oats, nut milk, fresh strawberries and an unrefined, all-natural sweetener. Think of it as a pourable, drinkable version of these overnight oats.
So do yourself a favor and give this easy 2-step overnight oats recipe a try any day before you go to bed, I promise you will wake up and find them to be:
- just the right amount of sweet
- very filling
Strawberry Shortcake Overnight Oats
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp gluten-free rolled oats (much better texture than quick oats)
- 1/2 cup of your favorite nut milk. (I used vanilla, unsweetened almond milk)
- 3 tbsp of coconut yogurt
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup OR rice malt syrup OR date nectar
- 1 cup roughly chopped organic strawberries (stems removed)
- 1 tbsp of chia seeds (my go-to superfood to mix in with oats)
- In a little mason jar or tup, combine all of the ingredients. Mix well to ensure oats are covered in yogurt/nut milk base.
- Leave the jar or tup in the fridge overnight or for at least 4 hours.
- Right before serving, top with fresh strawberry slices, a sprinkling of chia seeds or hemp hearts. Enjoy every spoonful!
Superfood your oats:
- 1 tbsp of collagen powder
- 1 tbsp of lucuma powder (it will give it a nice, caramel-like taste)
- 1 tbsp of hemp hearts (amazing source of healthy fats, fiber & protein)
Notes: for the optional add-ons, add them when prepping and let them soak overnight along with everything else- especially chia seeds.
By: Aleyda | The Dish On Healthy