Fact: summer isn’t complete sans Key Lime Pie. Tart & creamy lime goodness with a crunchy nut and date base that melts in your mouth & engulfs your senses. What’s not to like? I’ve eliminated sugar & gluten & give dairy-free & vegan options to this recipe. I made this dessert to celebrate being back home after a long, 7 weekend jaunt. I could not believe how deliciously rich this sweet treat tasted; it’s fully possible to recreate a cream cheese flavor and not add cheese. Cashews cream works it’s magic on this dessert & I intensified the flavor by adding ground vanilla beans to the filling. It also has a healthy dose of freshly squeezed lime juice, raw agave syrup & my trusty vanilla coconut yogurt.
This dessert features a different nut base than my previous raw dessert recipes. I’ve been experimenting with a crunchy nut base for some time now and I usually add (almonds & dates) or (almonds, cashews & dates). Well, I figured if the filling is cashew-intense I can’t possibly have any cashews in the crust- as the cashew flavor would then overpower the entire dessert. We need a cacophony of flavors & contrast for something to taste amazingly good- and that’s the ultimate goal. This crust has pecans, medjool dates, & organic coconut oil. It’s simply divine. When you put pecans in the food processor, a caramel-like smell starts to rise and it’s just heavenly. Pecans & dates are the perfect pair, trust me on this one!
Key Lime Pie
For the Crust:
- 1.5 cups of pecans (you may substitute with almonds or cashews if you prefer)
- 12-14 pitted Medjool dates (a little over 1 full cup)
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
Throw into a food processor and blend on “Pulse” until a thick paste has been created. Don’t overdo it, some texture provides for a nice crunch when you go in for that first bite! Press the paste with clean hands onto a spring pan, cover in aluminum foil and throw it into your freezer.
For the Filling:
- 1 cup of raw cashews (soaked in water overnight or for at least 5 hours)
- 1 cup of ricotta cheese OR a 12 oz package “Tofutti: Better than Cream Cheese” *vegan/dairy-free option OR cashew cream cheese
- 1 cup of dairy-free coconut yogurt, I used vanilla flavored
- 1/2 cup of freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/3 cup of raw agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract or 2 ground vanilla beans
- Throw the soaked cashews into your food processor and blend until perfectly creamy. Incorporate the vanilla coconut yogurt & your choice of ricotta cheese or Tofutti and blend on high for at least 20-30 seconds.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the lime juice, the agave & the vanilla beans or pure extract. I like to throw in a little bit of lemon zest for added flavor. I then add it to the food processor with the “cream cheese filling” & blend on high until a uniform mixture is visible.
- Pour the filling mixture onto the spring pan that already has the crust and freeze overnight or for at least 4-5 hours.
- Defrost 1 hour prior to serving. Garnish with fresh limes or some edible flowers.. Enjoy this deliciously light dessert!!!