Life without peanut butter would be incredibly dull. (We’ll pretend it’s a wildly exciting Saturday night with a hot cup of tea and my computer). But yes, there once was a girl (not naming names) that was seriously addicted to a certain peanut butter recipe (that was conveniently written) on the back of a certain peanut butter jar. By the way, sorry if that reads like a riddle. Any guesses?
The predictable addiction dates back to my college days (AKA stuff my face with carbs and sugar days). During my last year of school, I lived and worked in the same building as a girl named Kelly. Said girl was super witty, friendly, and used to bake; peanut butter cookies of all things. I thought the simple sugar, peanut butter and egg recipe from the peanut butter jar was sheer genius. Until my pants started getting tighter. That’s when it stopped being funny (or genius).
Looking back- people were quick to say: “Oh it’s the peanut butter because its high in fat”. But it wasn’t the peanut butter- it’s the hoards of white refined sugar the recipe called for. So hello, healthy peanut butter & chocolate chip cookies! I decided to make you using dark, pure maple syrup. I added a free run egg, a pinch of baking powder & folded in some dark, dairy free chocolate chips. And am in total cookie heaven, without exclusively feeding my hips.
Guys, this is such an easy, fool-proof recipe. I made these cookies on snapchat this afternoon with my sweet Gracie as my helper. If I wasn’t snapping away (or making sure Gracie does not swipe all my chocolate chips) and listing instructions, I would probably take 5 mins from one bowl mixing to oven. So here it is! Enjoy them. Eat up. Perfect introductory bake for toddlers. Or adults that are new to the kitchen. This is a great place to start in the realm of flourless baking.
Peanut Butter & Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup all-natural, unsweetened peanut butter (I used smooth & organic)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips ( I used Enjoy Life, dairy-free)
- 1 free run egg
- 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract ( I love Madagascar vanilla!)
- 3-4 tbsp of pure maple syrup (do 4 if you prefer them a bit sweeter)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- Turn the oven on to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Place the cup of peanut butter in a bowl and mix well
- Beat the egg and add it to the peanut butter bowl. Mix them well.
- Add the maple syrup, and splash of vanilla, mix.
- Add the baking soda and give it a good, final stir.
- Fold in the chocolate chips
- Form into dough balls and I like to shape them a bit, as these don’t grow much because there’s no flour in them.
- Bake for 8-10 mins, all ovens vary. Mine only needed 8 mins. Cool on a wire rack before eating so they can firm up a bit. Enjoy!!