In a perfect world, we would all wake up to a freshly-brewed cup of coffee & an enticing breakfast that’s “calling our name”. That surely doesn’t happen (to me, at least)… But I need to make breakfast happen for the 6 beings that run my heart: my 2 and 4 year-old kids, my husband, a dog, & most recently- 2 fish. Yes, all true. One of my kids started school a year ago, so am getting pretty good at this “breakfast blitz thing”. I try to always pack him with nutrients and real food; usually free-run scrambled eggs, a slice of organic cheese, & toast with grass-fed butter or real peanut butter. Oh and a hunky glass of 3.25% grass fed milk. Because kids need healthy fats in their lives. Skim milk is not for children. I will continue to stress that! My picky eater (the 2 year-old) will never say no to a big bowl of sliced fruit & a homemade oatmeal cookie. She keeps herself busy munching on that while I pack my husband his breakfast (which usually consists of a warm breakfast sandwich).
I’ve been married to the man for almost 7 years now. Whether I was working, not working, on mat leave- I always did pack him a little bite for the road. Surely, I should have dropped that habit two kids down the road. One would think, right? So much changes in your world once you have children. Time is never measured the same way again. But this little tradition has become “our thing”. The one little thing that never did change. I pack his breakfast inside his laptop bag and he eats in the car on his drive in to work. I get a lot of appreciation for that small gesture.
And almost last but not least- I feed the dog (Gizmo Elvis) yes, he has not one but TWO names. He’s an adorable (just a tad neurotic) Shih Tzu breed. Think small dog, big personality. BIG. As soon as my husband & son head out the door… he starts nervously circling me sort of saying “Am next!”. And then the fishes… those poor beta fishes. I must confess I sometimes forget to feed them. I make a run for the fridge and take my overnight oats out, add heavenly toppings and can’t stop eating them until I finish the jar. They’re THAT good & so incredibly simple to make the night before. Not even 5 minutes, am serious!
I wish I knew about overnight oats a long time ago. I’m sure I would’ve made smarter breakfast choices. These are super high in protein, anywhere from 10-15 grams depending on the toppings. You will be sastified till lunch time, that’s a guarantee! Overnight oats are also higher in resistant starch and soluble fiber than their cooked counterparts. All this means is you’ll have a happy belly & digestion made easy.
Creamy Raspberry Overnight Oats
- 1/2 cup of thick old-fashioned rolled oats ( I use Bob’s Red Mill GF variety)
- 3/4 cups of nut milk of your choice
- 1 tbsp of organic chia seeds
- 1 tbsp of your choice of peanut, cashew or almond butter
- 1 tbsp of pure maple syrup (or you could sub with raw honey, organic agave or coconut sugar)
- Fresh raspberries
- Mashed ripe banana for sweetness
- Cacao nibs
- Dried Coconut Shavings
- Ground flaxseeds
- More pure maple syrup ( I love amber grade maple syrup! Best taste.)
- In a mason jar or glassware food container with a tight-fitting lid add all of the above ingredients. Ensure the oats are fully covered (immersed) in liquid so that you don’t end up with crunchy, raw bits. I also added some raspberries. Mix well & cover with a lid.
- Refrigerate overnight or for at least 3 hours prior to eating.
- Add any toppings you’d like and Voila, your breakfast is ready!
That was easy, right? Enjoy!!!