If you love crêpes, I strongly encourage you to put off the urge to do other (clearly not as important) things & keep on reading… If you don’t like thin pancakes & happen to stubbornly prefer fluffy & moist, “buttermilk-style” pancakes; am sad to inform you this recipe may not be for you. But if the first one holds true, then here we are: at a deliciously simple recipe that spins our worlds around on Sunday.
I must also disclose that this recipe is not gluten or dairy free. This recipe was developed for my husband and little ones who don’t have any dietary restrictions or sensitivities to regular flour and milk. We do, however, try to avoid processed foods as much as possible- because I strongly believe in whole, unprocessed ingredients. This French pancake recipe is made with good quality all-purpose flour, grass fed milk, & your choice of grass fed butter, coconut oil or sunflower oil for frying. I also like to add 1tbsp of any of the above fats to the batter, which makes for a perfect, non-stick pancake every time.
There’s very few things you could do to mess this easy peasy recipe up. Just in case, follow my lead and always have a cup of dark coffee when cooking early; while the rest of the house is still asleep. I also like to wake up to an energizing cup of hot water with the juice of 1 lemon. It helps cleanse your system from the moment you get up, & I also find find it very energizing. I just love lemon as a natural detox. Back to those pancakes… can I say pantry-friendly? Like, super friendly. I had everything I needed right at arms reach.
P.S. we don’t do “low-fat/ skim milk” at our house. Fats are not the enemy. It’s highly processed and sugary foods that will get to your waistline. I believe whole, 2% or 3.25% milk is far better for your than skim 0% milk. I strongly encourage you to read up more on it & see what the latest research is saying.
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1 cup of grass fed or organic milk
- 2 eggs (love free-run eggs!)
- 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract (love, love Madagascar vanilla!)
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of sunflower oil or 2 tbsp of melted grass fed butter (plus more for frying)
- powdered sugar for garnish
- fresh berries
- almond or hazelnut butter
Hey, have you ever tried frying pancakes in deodorized coconut oil? I love how they turn out! And no, they don’t taste of coconut. Just an idea… It’s also a great alternative if you follow a vegan diet.
*For this recipe, I love using local grass fed butter & grass fed milk by Rolling Meadow Dairy.
- Mix flour with the pinch of salt, baking powder & cinnamon. Make a “nest” right in the middle.
- Crack the 2 eggs & add the vanilla right above the nest and into the middle of the flour.
- Pour in half your milk & begin whisking starting from the middle. Whisk into an even paste.
- Slowly incorporate the rest of the milk & the oil/fat of your choice as per the above measures & keep on whisking. The mixture will be slightly runnier than most pancake mixtures. This is OK.
- Heat a pan to medium-high heat and add some grass fed butter/sunflower oil OR coconut oil & spread evenly across the pan.
- I like to use an ice cream scooper to determine the exact amount of batter that goes into each pancake.
- I don’t grease the pan after every pancake. I do it after every 3. You be the best judge.
- Once a pancake starts forming bubbles, it’s time to flip it to the other side.
- Enjoy them warm with pure maple syrup, fresh berries, bananas, & almond butter.
- Repeat every Sunday! 🙂