“There is no love sincerer than the love of food.” – George Bernard Shaw
My passion for good food knows no boundaries, but at the same time; I have certain boundaries I must adhere to in order to preserve & maintain my health. Not my choice, alone. No. It’s a choice my body has made for me when I discovered that after quitting gluten, dairy & sugar I could actually run again. I feel whole, healthy & pain free. And here I am recreating my all-time favorite foods; while playing within those boundaries. And when they come out tasting just as good (if not better than I remembered) I am elated. Yep, elated is the word that perfectly embodies the sentiment. One of those foods that can get me to “elated” is French Toast.
As a little girl, French Toast was one of the first things I tried to make on my own. And I got pretty good at it! The problem is everything in my old French Toast recipe involved white bread, cow dairy & white sugar. Swap those out & we’re golden. Taste wise- I promise you we’re not missing out. You can opt for gluten free challah bread, rye bread, or brown rice bread. The trick about French Toast is… the bread must be stale, thick & in the fridge. I purposely always use the last of a loaf of bread for this breakfast. Or throw it in the fridge for 2 weeks with the sole intent of coming back to it later for this decadent treat. Stale bread means you won’t be left with soggy toast. The thicker the slice, the better the outcome! Raw honey or nutty, coconut sugar do a wonderful job in this recipe, and we can kick refined sugar to the curb.
Makes 2 Servings, You Will Need
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- A dash of nutmeg
- 1/2 a cup of unsweetened almond milk * carrageenan free
- 1/2 a loaf of gluten free challah toast (or a bread of your choice- about 6 slices)
- Grass Fed Organic Butter (to coat the pan, about 2 tablespoons in total)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of your choice of: raw honey OR coconut sugar
- Berries & pure maple syrup for the topping
- Whisk together the eggs, unsweetened almond milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and your sweetener: either honey or coconut sugar.
- Set a non-stick or cast iron pan over medium heat and combine 1 tablespoon of grass fed butter with 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Dip the first 3 slices in the mixture, ensure to soak both sides and then place them on the pan. Cook for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of grassfed butter when it’s time to set the next 3 slices. That’s my winning ratio: 1 tablespoon of butter per every 3 slices. The olive oil mixed in with the butter keeps the toast from sticking/burning, it’s an old, trusty trick!
- Top with any berries of your choice & pure maple syrup. Enjoy it warm!