If you follow my Instagram feed… you may have noticed my food pictures are conspicuously “different”. It’s like am photographing in a brand new setting; because in fact, I am. The day before we flew out on holiday, some major pipes in our home burst and caused part of the ceiling on the first floor to collapse over our dining room area. It was a watery mess- there’s no disguising it! Our wood floors were soaked, stained, walls were peeling off, chunks of ceiling damaged some of our furniture and electronics. Simply put; it wasn’t pretty. My mother always says to me that any form of water is good luck, but am like- “Well, not when it’s sewage water, mom!”
I went on holiday with with my husband & kids the following day thinking “Perfect timing”. A vacation will take my mind away from the disaster brewing at home, and the restoration efforts can get underway while we are conveniently out of the country. We came back to walls being torn down, our hardwood flooring having been entirely removed- yet no rebuilding effort on the way. Today we learned they are scheduled to begin on August 10th! Yes, that far out. I needed a glass of wine to digest the news.
We are all currently staying at my husband’s parents while we continue to wait… But I really miss my spacious and beloved kitchen; my favorite place in the entire house and quite possibly on this planet. For it is that kitchen that makes my house feel like a “home”. The kitchen that delights my husband and children with healthy, homemade meals and the most enticing smells. The kitchen were family memories are created, where the kids always expect to find their mama; and join me in my cooking endeavors.
In the interim, I’ve settled into my new routine. And I’ve created a new routine for our children. They think we are still on vacation and often ask when we are coming home. This smoothie was one of the first breakfasts I prepared in my interim home. It’s so incredibly simple: 4 ingredients & a blender. That’s literally all you need. That, and the will to eat healthy. So please bear with me as I try to adjust to my new surroundings; as it seems it will be a couple of weeks before we get to return home.
Kiwi & Banana Smoothie
- 4 ripe, softened kiwis (skin on for nutrients, just sliced in half) for a mega dosage of fiber + antioxidants
- 1 ripe frozen banana sliced (excellent source of healthy fats + potassium)
- 1 cup of coconut water (or water, or almond milk* carrageenan free) High in Potassium + Electrolytes
- 1 tablespoon of flaxseed oil (for healthy fats) If you don’t have flaxseed oil, try 1/2 an avocado. An avocado brings another dosage of healthy fats into the mix.
- If you have a sweet tooth or prefer a naturally sweeter taste: try adding 1 tablespoon of raw honey or 2 pitted dates (soaked in water overnight) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of bee pollen for a little immune most (optional)
Blend on high until desired consistency is obtained. For my liking, this usually takes about 20 seconds. Enjoy!!