It was the morning of my birthday and my taste buds also wanted a party. I pondered (albeit not for too long) on what would make the most deliciously healthy smoothie pairing. A fridge overstocked with berries and a red, big, lonely pomegranate sitting on my kitchen breakfast table led to a marvelous epiphany.
I have been most lucky to continue to run into pomegranates despite “Pom Season” being long over. They have quickly become one of my favorite fruits. I love that they are also a wonder well; a “superfruit” full of minerals, nutrients and antioxidants. I used to always buy overpriced pomegranate juice, but now I try to stick to the fruit itself. It has a really long lifespan and keeps amazingly well, especially if inside the fridge. I love the texture they bring to salads and smoothies alike. They are a bit sour, sweet and chewy. I love to top smoothies with the seeds, too. Give this antioxidant monster smoothie a try and I promise you’ll never regret it!
Makes 1, You Will Need:
- 1 large pomegranate ( I use half in the smoothie and the other half as a topping)
- 1 cup of frozen raspberries
- 1 cup of ripe strawberries
- 1 cup of water OR coconut water
- 1 ripe frozen banana sliced
- 1 tablespoon of flaxseed oil
- 1 tablespoon of raw honey or agave (for added sweetness) But if the strawberries, raspberries & banana are really ripe, you won’t need it!
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds for added protein (I love to soak them in water for at least an hour beforehand. They expand and make the smoothie that more filling.)
Blend on “high” until desired consistency is obtained, enjoy!!